As a property owner in Geauga County, Ohio, it’s crucial to have an understanding of the property tax assessment process and how to file a challenge with the Board of Revision. In this post, we will go over the process for challenging property tax assessments and the steps to take to do so effectively.

Filing a Complaint with the Board of Revision

If you believe your property’s assessment is incorrect or unjust, you have the option to file a complaint with the Board of Revision. This board is responsible for reviewing and resolving disputes related to property tax assessments.

Important Deadlines

To have your complaint considered, it must be received by the County Auditor on or before March 31st of the following tax year. Additionally, if you receive notice that an original complaint has been filed, you have 30 days to file a counter-complaint.

Who Can File

Any person owning taxable real property in the county, the Board of County Commissioners, the County Prosecutor, the County Treasurer, the Board of Township Trustees of any township with territory in the county, the Board of Education of any school district with territory in the county, or the mayor or legislative authority of any municipal corporation with territory in the county may file a valuation complaint.

General Instructions

When filing a complaint, it should be related to the total value of both land and building. The Board of Revision has the authority to increase or decrease the total value of any parcel included in a complaint. The Board will notify all parties at least ten days prior to the hearing of the time and place the complaint will be heard. It is advisable to submit any documents supporting the claimed valuation to the Board prior to the hearing. The Board may also request additional information including purchase and lease agreements, closing statements, appraisal reports, construction costs, rent rolls, and detailed income and expense statements for the property.

It is crucial for property owners in Geauga County to have an understanding of the process for filing a complaint with the Board of Revision. By being aware of the deadlines and required documentation, property owners can ensure that their protest is considered and their property’s assessment is fair and accurate. For assistance navigating this process, please call Brenden Kelley Law at 216-644-3359 so that we can assist you.

More on Property Tax Appeals | Contact Us